Sunday 3 February 2013

Growing Parsnips

I love a good roast parsnip! They make a roast dinner for me, so this year they made my short list for the vegetable plot. I chose the 'Albion f1 hybrid', from Alan Tichmarsh's range.


While its easy to just follow the instructions on the back of the packet, I've learned that these sometimes miss out on some vital steps, so I always consult a few gardening books that I have as well.

Parsnip seeds should be sown in the ground where they are to grow, in well drained soil in full sun. It's always advised to have added manure to the plot the year before, and I did do this back in January 2012, but I haven't done it again since. I'll add fertiliser to the soil instead (I've found regular additions of fresh manure cause a lot of extra weeds to grow as well).



Parsnips should be sown in April/May, after the last sign of frosty weather. I plan to sow mine the first weekend of May. A week before sowing, rake over the soil to a fine consistency and add fertiliser and a little sand. Parsnips like a sandy soil apparently. Parsnip seeds are notoriously slow to germinate, and can take a few weeks to show the first signs of life. Sow them in a drill about 1cm deep. Sow three seeds every 15cms, and thin out when the seedlings, leaving the strongest looking shoot. Keep the soil as weed free as possible, and don't over water, parsnips don't need a lot of water.

Start to dig up from September, but they can be harvested throughout the winter when needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment