Saturday 26 January 2013

Every year I find I cling to winter. I love the snow and the cold, warm mulled wine and hearty comforting meals. I've never been a hot weather person; probably something to do with living in Texas for 10 years and fantasising about wearing a jumper for a change! The snow from last weekend has now melted, and been replaced with lots of wet greenness, and while a lot of others rejoice in this, it makes me feel sad! So in an attempt to prepare for a new season, I bought a little piece of spring this morning from my local market. I didn't like the black plastic pots these narcissus were in, so tied some ribbon around the middle and popped in some fresh bay leaves from the garden. A little something to add to my table.
 When living in Edinburgh my husband and I would pop to the farmer's market on a Saturday morning and treat ourselves to a hog-roast roll. Delicious moist shredded pork with a little crackling, stuffing and apple sauce. Tucking in and looking up at the castle was pure joy. We loved this tradition so much that we had a whole hog roast on our wedding day! I recently tried to recreate this at home with fantastic results. The pork shoulder just fell apart in all its yummy goodness, with all the delicious juices soaked up in the crusty white bread that it was served in. To recreate this yourself, you will need:

A medium sized pork shoulder joint
A small bottle of cider, preferably a still kind, like a local scrumpy.
2 Onions
3 cloves of Garlic
Pork Seasoning (I used a pre-made bottle from the supermarket, but any combination of your favourite pork friendly herbs will do)
A slow-cooker (or a lidded casserole dish on a low heat in the over).

I cut the thick fat off the top of the joint and put this to one side ready for grilling later for crackling. Cover the joint in the herbs/seasoning mix, and brown in a pan on a high heat to seal the meat. Whilst the joint is in the pan, add the cider and let the liquid heat a little. In the slow cooker, put the onions (I left mine chunky, cut into quarters) and the garlic cloves (cut in half). Add the joint and the cider into the pot and cover with the lid. Leave the cook slowly, on a low setting, for as long as you can. I left mine for 8 hours. It may look like there isn't enough liquid in there, but don't worry, this helps the meat cook in its own juices instead. Don't be tempted to lift the lid as this sets back the cooking time.

Insert photo

Remove the shoulder joint (in one piece if you can, but I had trouble as it had all fallen apart!) and put into a dish, ready for shredding with a fork. Add the pork to crusty rolls, with some sage stuffing and apple sauce. To die for!







No comments:

Post a Comment